New York State Domestic Relations Law (Article 3, Section 11-d) provides the opportunity for a marriage officiant to obtain a license to solemnize a particular marriage. The officiant must obtain their license from the same municipality that issued the couple's marriage license. The officiant license expires upon the earlier of either performing the ceremony or on the date the marriage license expires. The officiant license is only valid for the couple listed on the application.
One-day Marriage Officiant License Application Form
The applicant must:
- Complete the application form found at the link above
- Print the application and have their signature notarized
- Fee is $25
- Applicant may mail the completed application to the Brighton Town Clerk's Office or pay in person.
- If submitting by mail, make check payable to Town of Brighton. Make sure you plan for enough time for the application to arrive and be mailed back to you via USPS.
- If submitting in person, we accept credit card [Visa/MC/Disc], cash or check payable to Town of Brighton