The Town Clerk’s office is designated by the United States Department of State as a Passport Application Processing Center and all of our staff members are certified Passport Acceptance Agents.

Passport and Passport Card applications are processed by appointment only on
 Monday - Friday from 9:30am - 3:30pm Please call (585) 784-5240 to make an appointment.

NOTE:   If you are unable to make your appointment, please call and cancel.  We have had a high number of no shows recently and we would like to be able to free up your unneeded appointment time so we can help someone else.

Applications and instructions can be found on the official State Department Website [Travel.state.govor in our office. Their site contains all the information needed to determine which forms and documents you will need when applying for a new or simply renewing a passport book or card.

Typically, an applicant for a new Passport book or card needs:

  • Completed DS-11 Form (typed or neatly printed in black ink)
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship. Raised seal or certified copy of a Birth Certificate with the parents names listed or Naturalization papers.
  • Proof of Identify – This is usually a U.S. government issued photo ID
  • Color photograph - We do not have the ability to take photos on site.
  • Fees – We require 2 forms of payment:

    • Check (or Money Order) payable to the U.S Department of State for the passport
      • Passport book – Adult ($130), Under 16 ($100)
      • Passport card Adult ($30) Under 16 ($15)
    • Check (payable to Town of Brighton), Visa/MC/Discover or cash for the Execution fee ($35)

      **There is a fee of $20 for any returned checks.

Passports for Children Under 16 years Old

In addition to what is listed above, both parents and the applicant must be present. Parents need proof of identity and relationship to the minor. If one of the parents cannot be present, the absent parent may provide a statement of consent via notarized DS-3053 granting their permission for the minor to have a passport.

Passport Renewals

In most cases, adult renewals can be renewed directly with the U.S. State Department. This involves completing a U.S. Passport Renewal application for eligible Individuals (DS-82).

Please see the State Department website for all of the latest information on the renewal process.

Already applied and wondering about the status of your application?


We are not able to get status updates on submitted applications.  You can track the status of your application(s) via the State Department website at  Click on the US Passports tab and then Track My Application Status.  On that page you will be able enter your last name, date of birth and the last four of your social security number to find the status.