The Department of Assessment is well aware of the issues surrounding COVID-19. The 2021 Tentative Assessment Roll is based upon the market conditions as of July 1, 2020 (Valuation Date) and the status of the property as of March 1, 2021 (Taxable Status Date).
Informal Assessment Reviews
Informal Assessment Reviews
The Assessor’s office accepts informal assessment review requests annually from September through November. Changes to assessments based on an Informal review are applied to the next roll and are not retroactive.
Additional information is available by contacting the Assessor's Office by phone 585-784-5215.
Formal Assessment Reviews
The Tentative Assessment Roll is filed each May 1, and this marks the beginning of the formal review process.
There are two levels of formal review:
- Administrative review - the "grievance" process is conducted at the municipal level
- The Administrative reviews are conducted annually on Grievance day—the 4th Tuesday of each May. A New York State Office of Real Property Services RP-524 Grievance Form is required.
- Please review the detailed requirements at Challenging Your Assessment prior to filing.
Printable RP-524 Grievance Form
Fillable PDF RP-524 Grievance Form
Form RP-524 Grievance Form will also be available for pickup in the Lobby of the Public Safety Wing at the Brighton Town Hall, 2300 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14618 beginning on May 3, 2021, Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm..
PLEASE NOTE: The Town of Brighton Assessor's Office and the Brighton Board of Assessment Review will not accept Form RP-524 electronically by fax or email for Grievance Day.
A completed Form RP-524, with all supporting documentation, signed and dated, must be filed via mail or dropbox with the Assessor’s Office at Brighton Town Hall, 2300 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, NY 14618 on or before 8:00 PM on Grievance Day, May 25, 2021.
There will be a clearly marked Assessment dropbox outside in the back of the Brighton Town Hall between Doors 8 and 9 from May 1, 2021 through 8:00 PM May 25, 2021.
Mailed Grievance forms must be received by the Assessor's office by May 25, 2021.
The Board of Assessment Review will hold Grievance hearings via teleconference on May 25, 2021 from 4 pm - 8 pm.
- Judicial review
- In order to pursue judicial review you must first go through administrative review
- Includes two options:
- Small Claims Assessment Review (SCAR) - a low-cost option available to most homeowners;
- Tax certiorari proceedings in State Supreme Court - to pursue this option, you should contact an attorney.
Service of any petitions are by appointment only.appointment-only basis
Department of Taxation and Finance
Please call the Assessor’s Office at (585) 784-5215 if you have any questions.